Madden Defense Help
12/23/2008 6:15:00 AM
After playing a lot of people this year and seen a couple of post I have deicide to post some of my madden knowledge to help. By no means do I consider myself a "Great" madden player, but over my years of playing I have learned a thing or two. These are basic ideas you can take and put your own twist on them.
- The worst thing you can do is selecting your defense before you have seen what the offense is going to run. If the offense comes with a play with two receivers, then you should come out in your base 4-3 or 3-4 defenses. If they come out with three wide receivers then you should be in a nickel defense. The reason is if they come out in a two wide receiver set and your in a dime defense your have six DBs on the field. Its easier to run and block DBs and your only have four to five men in the box. Same goes if you come out in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and they come out with four receiver set. This puts your two OLB on wide outs; they will get burned every time.
- I choose not to use man-to-man on madden. I feel everytime I get burned on post patterns and quick cuts. So there are many types of zone defenses you can use.
1. Cover 2, I use this a couple times a game. The best time is about 20 yards away from the end zone and if the person you are playing is using a lot of screens and short passes.
2. Cover 3, I use this almost all the time. This puts OLB in the flats and drops the safety and CB back. This great if you got good stick skills. You can drop the SS in the box, cheating the zone a little bit to bring 8 in the box. Then drop back, but watch out for the play action pass. This does leave the outside CB 1-on-1 with the receiver. Ill take my chance, if I get beat deep a couple of times then I will drop into a different defense. Make sure you put your fastest CBs on the outside so they don’t get burned.
3. Cover 4, I pretty sure but this is only in a dime defense. This is almost like a prevent defense but it drops everyone back about 10 yards. Good if your have a 3rd and long...
4. Prevent, I don't know why many people I have played don't use this. This drops everyone back to stop the deep pass. If it's the end of the game, your have the other team stopped a the 50 yard line and there only 5 secs left and they need a touchdown, please use a prevent defense.
- Blitzing, something that I started a lot this year. The most important thing is don't blitz every play. I may do it once every 10 downs. If you’re not good at blitzing try this. Next time your playing and you are using a nickel defense select strong. Then select the play where the slot DB is the only one blitzing. Take control of that DB and get right next to your DE and takeoff after the QB...trust me it will feel good ( I smacked wigspliter raiders with this a got a fumble .) Madden has another tool that isn’t used much. Its cause the fake blitz. I notice a lot of people think that when everyone come close to the line your going to blitz and change the play to a quick slant. Next time they have a 3rd and short. Use a cover 2 and fake blitz. Your opponent will think your blitzing and will try to hit a quick pass....easy pick. Make sure you manual move your safety back so they don’t get beat deep.
- Another great tool is moving your LB and DL. If you can tell they are going to run the ball to the right side, then move your DL over. Also if it's a 3rd and long spread your DL out for the pass rush. If you think they are going to run up the middle for the 15th time, bring your LB or DL men in.
- Last tip I have is before each game check the stats of the person you are playing. This gives a good idea of what there going to try and do. If it's a running team, run blitz a lot and stop the run. Usually if a running team can't run in the first half they will give up and pass. Plus if you stop the run on first down and make it 2nd and 12....it can open up the play book for your blitz if you would like.
Hope this can help someone